Friday, August 24, 2012

CORY STRAND "THE SHINING: A REINTERPRETATION" CDr (AOW 28)

As a cinematography/film studies student, I am obviously enamoured with the work of Stanley Kubrick, and his  version of Stephen King's The Shining remains one of my favorite films of all time.  Equally impressive with regard to Kubrick's canon is the soundtrack work he elicited from Wendy Carlos.  It's difficult to imagine Kubrick's films without her themes, and in the case of The Shining especially, her compositions set and maintain the tone throughout the whole film.  It's easily one of the darkest pieces of music ever made for a film, unsettling and crushing in equal parts, and it remains burned into the brain nearly as much as Kubrick's imagery.
I decided to offer my take on this masterful score, and while I certainly do not believe my work comes close to being the equal of Wendy Carlos's, I am very happy with how this record came out.  In the first section I've played up the suffocating, thick darkness present in the piece and taken it further out, creating a lengthy journey through Carlos's rich synthesizer composition and sound assembly.  The second section offers up my more "rock" take on the theme, pushing it close to a caustic riff on suicidal doom noise catharsis before it collapses into a throbbing, bass-drenched wall.
Released through Altar Of Waste and packaged in a DVD case with minimal artwork assembled by me, in a limited edition of 10 hand-numbered copies.  $10 ppd. in the United States, $18 rest of world.

-Cory Strand

ORDER HERE: www.altarofwasterecords.storenvy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment