Friday, January 24, 2014

CORY STRAND "ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13: A REINTERPRETATION" 4CDr (AOW 161)

It's been a long time since I've done any Carpenter work for my own label so I figured i'd take on the absolutely essential OST to his first proper film, "Assault On Precinct 13."  Carpenter's soundtrack is an unequivocal minimalist masterpiece, one which i hardly feel the need to extoll the virtues of to anyone familiar with my own drone work or to Altar Of Waste in general, and in working with the source material I've attempted to emulate Carpenter's primitive means-no second guessing or over-intellectualized decisions about how to sculpt the sounds-just pure revelry and instinct.  Carpenter's OST offered tension and foreboding in equal amounts, a sort of stasis of gnawing fear, a sense that I hope my rework brings to the fore and extends.  Most similar in tone to my recent "Day Of The Dead: A Reinterpretation" in that most of these drones are very deep and subtextual; headphones are highly recommended, as is playback at a very high volume.  That's where the tones will resonate and best reveal themselves.
Packaged in a DVD case in a limited edition of 5 hand-numbered copies.  $20 ppd. in the United States, $33 rest of world.

ORDER HERE: www.altarofwasterecords.storenvy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment