Sunday, July 31, 2016

CORY STRAND "SWISS ARMY MAN: A REINTERPRETATION" 15CDR (AOW 408)

A new, beautiful, large scale reinterpretive solo work for Andy Hull and Robert McDowell's absolutely heartbreaking score for the Daniels' equally heartbreaking film, Swiss Army Man.  If you have followed AOW for awhile, or if you know me in real existence, you've most likely gotten the idea that film is very important to me and is a major part of all aspects of my life: professional, personal, emotional, academic.  It permeates every moment of my being, and is a large part of how i try and understand the world, the universe, and my own place in it (if i have any sort of place.)  Swiss Army Man is probably the closest i have seen a film come to portraying the way I feel.  I don't want to say much more than that, as watching this film was a very painful and deeply emotional experience for me, and thinking through some of the issues it's raised for me is still difficult.  But it was beautiful, and it touched something in me the way few films have...extremely raw, extremely fragile.  I was in tears through the last 30 minutes.
The score works in tandem with those emotions.  Composed primarily for human voice, it is an absolutely haunting and elegiac work, suffused with joy, longing, hurt, sorrow, love, desire, yearning, confusion, hopelessness, hopefulness...in working with the pieces i've tried to bring out the emotional aspects of the tracks and marry them to my own personal emotional difficulties as of late.  The result is one of my most personal works, and also one of the most beautiful (if not THE most beautiful) suites of compositions I've ever created.  The power of it haunts me...
Packaged in three quintuple DVD cases, each with their own unique artwork.  Released in a limited edition of 5 hand-numbered copies.  $135 ppd. in the United States, $151 rest of world.

ORDER HERE: www.altarofwasterecords.storenvy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment