Friday, March 18, 2016

SMALL HOURS "TEARS IN RAIN" C56 (AOW 337)

Cassette reissue of one of Small Hours' earlier releases, the masterful Blade Runner-inspired "Tears In Rain."  Ridley Scott's film is incredibly important to a lot of people, myself included, and I think whenever we work with the film as an inspiration there's this feeling that we have to create work that really lives up to the quality of the film, something that reflects its concerns and atmospheric, chilling beauty (i've personally agonized more over my own Blade Runner-inspired pieces than anything else I've done).  With "Tears In Rain," James Killick has done exactly that, creating a crushing, shifting, intensely textured wall that is unrelenting in its monolithi-ness but also beautiful in its evocation of atmosphere.  When I first heard this work I was astonished by it, and I continue to be everytime i listen to it.  What's even more astonishing is that this was one of James' earliest works as Small Hours, and it just blows my fucking mind how good this record this.  James is an HNW artist par excellence; his work is always interesting and incredibly inspiring.  Those familiar with AOW know that I am a huge fan of James' style; I am pleased to call him a friend and am so very honored to have released multiple works from him.  "Tears In Rain" was originally released on James' own Sweet Solitude label (before Vagary!) in a small edition of 10 copies; the work is of such quality that it deserves to be heard by more people, and I am thrilled that James gave me the okay to reissue this masterful work through Altar Of Waste.
Released as a single-sided C56, gorgeous silver-tinted tapes, with updated artwork that reflects the original CD version but goes in a bit more of an impressionistic, emotional direction.  Released in a limited edition of 20 hand-numbered copies.  $10 ppd. in the United States, $26 rest of world (it's awful, and i'm sorry-i wish it were different.)

ORDER HERE: www.altarofwasterecords.storenvy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment